I wanted to be close to my kids for the summer and they live in Montana. I currently live in Portland to attend college and I love Montana and have to admit that Portland was beginning to wear on me. So I called a friend to see if they needed help at their Produce stand and she gave me a job.
Well last week I quit that job and lost a friend. At this point I don't really regret it. I might later, but right now not only am I glad I quit but it has given me something to really think about.
My eighth grandchild was born last Saturday. A beautiful baby girl with lots of black hair. Total beauty. Well usually I would work on Saturday but because of her birth and as discussioned previously, I took that day off. Babies don't choose the best time to come into this world so you go with the flow and take life as it comes. When I decided to leave it wasn't pretty, but this subject came up. My friend/co-worker said: "Saturday you really screwed us." I responded: "My granddaughter was born that day."
Co-worker:" How is that our problem?"
Me: "Well, its not, but we discussed this prior to the birth."
Co-worker: "Well, you were also heard saying that you would be there no matter what, it didn't matter how it affect us here.
Me: Yes, I did....because you guys have been terrible to work with....I can't even go to the bathroom without being yelled at."
Co-worker: "Well you go to the bathroom a lot!"
Me: "Well if you will remember, I told you that I had a bladder infection. But still I came to work."
Co-worker: "Well you are not here now!"
Me: "Nope, and I won't ever be again."
Please understand that this is totally one sided. There were other accusations and justification for the way she was acting and we won't even go into what her husband has been doing lately to her and the employees around her. But this was the focus of my thoughts....Why would I choose your piddly little company over seeing the birth of my granddaughter. My last paycheck was shorted. I get yelled at for doing things that I have not done and for things that I didn't even know I was suppose to do. The customers are complaining about my co-worker, but she blames it on me. But your company is going to make me or break me and I need to choose them over my family.
Now, for the reality check. My family will always comes first. If you are putting your job before your family you need to step back and re-think your priorities. Job's are important, very important, but nothing comes before family. Nothing replaces watching children and grandchildren be born. No one looks back on their life and says I wish I had worked more. No one looks back and says that they wish they had spent more time at the office and less time with their children. If your employer asks you to choose between your job and your family....as soon as you can find another job. Good employer understand you choosing your family, because they choose their family everytime. During interviews I make it clear if you choose to hire me, you will get a good employee. I work hard, and I am on time. I learn quickly and am organized. I will be a valuable asset to your company. But, I also state....I am a family person. I have children. I will work my butt off for you, but if my kids need me I will be there. If they don't understand that, I chose not to take the job. Our priorities are screwed up when we choose our jobs over our kids. Now I am sure their are different reason to choose that job over your kids....you are the soul bread winner and without that job your kids will go hungry. I get it, I understand...but that is the only decent reason....and you will still regret it.
Time for a reality check people.
No comments:
Post a Comment